Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Got Jesus?

It was a smokey Tuesday at the Nickel Spot. Zach and I out to enjoy billards, Guiness, and really crappy music. Mostly, the term "buttrock" crossed my mind. I've noticed the last few times I've gone there that a group of deaf people have been haning out there. I don't mean to stare and be rude, but sign language fascinates me. Tonight, however, there was a different fellow there. By the way he was talking, I believe that he was deaf, but he was with a group of somewhat obnoxious girls who clearly had no hearing problems, though felt the need to scream what they were saying to one another in colorful language. He had dark hair and a patchy beard, and what struck me about him was his T-shirt. Black, in white letters, it asked "Got Jesus?" When I first noticed him, Hootie and the Blowfish was blaring out of the jukebox. I decided I wasn't even old enough to enter the bar the last time I heard that song. Once in a decade is enough, it seems. Anyway, he'd shoot pool, smoke his cigarettes, and talk loudly with the girls. All the time, though he may or may not have been aware of it, he was asking, "Got Jesus?" And...I don't know...it just struck me as funny. More of a shirt I would have seen at one of my many many Christian concerts and/or music festivals than in a dive bar. But there was something sort of endearing about it as well. Unless he was wearing it to be ironical, which is totally possible. Either way, between this interesting fellow, Hootie and the Blowfish, losing repeatedly at pool, and a pitcher of Guiness, it wasn't a bad evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment