Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Processing

Wait.
Await.
Abide.
God is doing something.

I have the amazing opportunity to be volunteering with Lifelight Communications ( here in Sioux Falls. This morning, I was able to partake in the morning devotions, and I was blown away. This is likely to be jumbled mess of a blog as I'm definitely still processing what's been going on in my life and in my heart and what God is doing and how Lifelight is involved.

I came in this morning to help out with reception, answering phones, entering data, you know...general officey stuff while the rest of the staff is in a lengthy meeting. Prior to their meeting, however, was a devotion. Normally, I'm told, these devos only last around 20-30 minutes. This morning was over an hour and a half. But it was amazing and God spoke. The morning began with worship, then a word from Alan Greene, the founder and CEO of Lifelight, and the morning ended with communion with all the staff. It was really beautiful. Music and Missions. I tell ya...If you know me at all, that's pretty much all I've ever wanted to do. And now I find myself in a place where music and missions is all that is done. I'm on the cusp of something great. It's so close, I can taste it.

I'm like the kid in the front row of class raising his hand furiously, waving it like a mad man nearly jumping out of his seat, just begging for the teacher to call on him.

Wait.
Await.
Abide.

Alan read Acts 17:22-28 which contains a verse that always sticks out to me.

vs 26From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live
And while that verse did indeed stick out to me again this morning, it was the verse that followed it that I took to heart.
vs. 27God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of usGod determines the times set and the places we live so that we will reach out for him.
And surely since coming back to Sioux Falls reaching out for him is the only option I have. Not that it's really an option ever not to reach out for him, it just seems more obvious while I'm here..and honestly, more often than not, I don't reach reach out for him, because I'm too busy floundering and focusing on the fact that I'm floundering, rather than reach out for the hand that's waiting to pull me up. Wow. Run on sentence much?

But back to being in Sioux Falls...Reaching out for him is the only option I have. And he's definitely brought me here for a reason. Probably more than one. I realized something while I was riding my bike home the other day, and it hit me in such a way that I had to stop my bike and sit on the curb for a little while. I realized that I am not in control...at all. Everyone knows that it was not my intention what so ever to end up back in Sioux Falls, and especially back at my old job. But I did. I feel like I was picked up, transported, and dropped here through no choice of my own. I'm like a toy in one of those machines with the claw. Someone put a quarter in (maybe 50 cents these days) moved the metal claw which descended on me, grabbed me, took me to the chute, dropped me in, and out I came on the other side of the machine. But I suppose there is something pleasant in that metaphor as well. Someone is controlling that claw. Someone is lifting me out. Every decision to go somewhere in my life had been of my own choosing. I'm not saying I regret going to the places that I did, just that I was the one choosing to go there. Not so now...and that's probably a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment